Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reflection

While I can appreciate the writing style and imagery of Out Stealing Horses, I really did not enjoy reading it. I come from a very strong Norwegian heritage, and while I got a better feel for landscape and lifestyle in Norway, I felt no connection. Of course, it must be taken into account that the book has been translated, but while keeping this in mind, the plot was just not captivating. I was excited to read this book when I first heard about it, but I wouldn't recommend it now that I have gotten through it. Petterson's use of imagery pulls you in to the scene, but when there is nothing interesting to be watching other than scenery, it can become mundane. It's hard to appreciate a book if it isn't one that keeps you entertained. However, some good aspects of this novel were the facts that Petterson kept his writing to the point, and never strayed from his storyline. It would be useful for teaching how to write concisely, but summer reading? Incoming sophomores would appreciate this more than The Iliad, I'm sure, but in the end would go insane trying to analyze it. Theres not enough action to interest them, and it would just be another chore at home to make them read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment